As promised, we have now completed the Mobile Declaration of Independence. I look forward to hearing your feedback on it!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for people to dissolve the technological bonds which have connected them with a specific place for a specific task and to assume among the powers of the earth, the free and mobile status to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident:
- That all men are created equal.
- That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.
- That among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
- That to secure these rights, Technologies are implemented among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the enabled,
- That whenever any Form of Technology becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to replace it, and to implement new Technology, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Technologies long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the tools to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Technology, and to provide new Enablers for their future happiness.
Such has been the patient sufferance of this society; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their formerly adopted Technologies. The history of the present Big Bell Dogma is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the continuation of an absolute Tyranny over all people and businesses. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
- Limiting products so that they can only operate in a few fixed locations (“where they have always operated”).
- Forcing services to only be offered in a constrained set of fixed locations (“where they have always been offered”).
- Locking processes to only work in a relatively small number of places (“where they have always been performed”).
- Forbiding (by law or policy) constituents from adopting otherwise viable and available mobile products, services, and technologies.
- example: Cambodia bans 3G networks
- example: Pennsylvania law banning city-wide WiFi networks
- example: Company policies
- Disabling or blocking technologies that otherwise would enable the power of mobility.
- Taxing or otherwise penalizing mobile products and services so as to destroy the financial value of adopting them.
- example: US cellphone taxes
- Charging mobile products, services, and technologies with pretended offenses so as to encourage fear, uncertainty, and doubt amongst those who otherwise would adopt and enjoy the power of mobility.
In every stage of these Oppressions We have proposed solutions in the most humble terms: Our repeated proposals have been answered only by repeated injury. A Dogma whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to define how we run our businesses, do our jobs, and live our lives.
Nor have We been wanting in warnings to our technology brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by the Dogmatists to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have implored them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our advances in productivity and connectivity. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of logic. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.
We, therefore, those seeking to drive mobility into all we do and are, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the interest of serving this society and economy, solemnly publish and declare, That we are, and of Right ought to be Free and Mobile; that we are Absolved from all Allegiance to the Big Bell Dogma, and that all forced fixed connection is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as a Free and Mobile Society, we have full Power to develop and implement mobile technologies, introduce new mobile processes, and to do all other Acts and Things which Free and Mobile businesses and individuals may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to offer each other our Products, our Services and our efficient Processes.